She served as an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Norfolk for three years, where she tried hundreds of cases ranging from acts of violence, to property crimes, to complicated embezzlements.
Deb is a native of Virginia Beach, where she lives with her husband and two children. She is a Board Member for the YWCA and the Ascension Episcopal Day School. When she is not caring for her two under three, she enjoys cooking, singing, and relaxing on the beach.
- Civil litigation practice involves all aspects of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration and mediation.
- Represents employers and employees with Fair Labor Standards Act grievances, EEOC discrimination and sexual harassment claims arising from the workplace
- Provides day-to-day counseling and advice to clients about the various laws affecting the employment relationship, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), the Fair Labor Standards Act, and other state and federal statutes.
- Assists governmental and private employers in managing and limiting risks through the use of employment policies and procedures and drafts Employee Handbooks for employers, both private and governmental localities.
- Routinely counsels employers regarding workplace issues including with respect to employee complaints and disciplinary actions to ensure compliance with policies and procedures, as well as state and federal law.
- Drafts and negotiates employment and severance agreements.
- “Conducting an Effective Internal Investigation” for the National Business Institute’s “Advanced Employment Law” Seminar, October 2, 2017
- “Hiring and Recruiting” for the National Business Institute’s “Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know Now” Seminar, June 7, 2017
- “Evidence Based Prosecution” for the Office of the Attorney General, March 15, 2013
- “Court Procedure Training” for the Norfolk Police Department Academy, February 25, 2014
- “Sexual Harassment in the #metoo Era” for the Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, October 4, 2018
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Member of the William and Mary Law Review, Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Competitions Coordinator, Alternative Dispute Resolution Team, Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Vice President, Asian Law Student Association, Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Winner of the Wall Street Journal Award, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Student of the Year in the Department of Management, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Vice President, Society of Human Resource Management, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- I’Anson-Hoffman American Inn of Court
- Virginia Bar Association
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association – (CLE Committee)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Virginia
- Federal Bar Association, Hampton Roads Chapter
- YWCA, Board of Directors
- Ascension Episcopal Day School, Board of Directors
What Clients Say About Deb
Ms. Collins’ professional approach and genuine concern for me in this case, has reduced a lot of stress in my life.Ms. Collins’ professional approach and genuine concern for me in this case, has reduced a lot of stress in my life. … Persistence is what it took and a great outcome is what I got in the end.M.W.
They [Ann and Deborah] were highly professional, very organized, and very thorough. They understood the tight timeline available for an appeal, and threw themselves into the case.My son was facing the most important test of his career. Although he had been granted accommodations for reading and ADHD disabilities by prior testing authorities, the agency administering this important test denied any accommodation. I have practiced law for over thirty years, and I knew I needed a legal expert in disability law. Checking with other lawyers, I was referred to Ann Sullivan— Ann and her fellow attorney, Deborah Collins, were fantastic! They were highly professional, very organized, and very thorough. They understood the tight timeline available for an appeal, and threw themselves into the case. They researched the applicable law and helped my son put together a compelling well-written appeal with an extensive exhibit package. This week my son learned that the testing authority has agreed to provide the appropriate accommodations – I am convinced it was due to the professional work of Ann Sullivan, Deborah Collins and their team at Sullivan Law Group, P.L.C.Dr. J.W.
From the smallest matter to complex agreements I and my whole firm couldn’t be more pleased.Deb Collins and the whole team at Sullivan Law Group are fantastic to work with!! It is not often you can find a professional that is smart, committed, responsive and a pleasure to deal with. From the smallest matter to complex agreements I and my whole firm couldn’t be more pleased and enthusiastic about working with Deb Collins and Sullivan Law Group.J.S.
With compassion and professionalism, her main intention is helping those in need.
"My experience with the Sullivan Law Group was positive from the initial consultation with Attorney Deborah Collins. Mrs. Collins is a wonderful person, and an extremely knowledgeable attorney. She was thorough, attentive, honest, and beyond helpful during a very difficult time. She is a one in a million attorney who genuinely cares about her client's situations. She was with me every step of the way with compassion and insight. Unlike most attorneys, she is not money oriented, and in fact really tries to work with the client as much as possible. With compassion and professionalism, her main intention is helping those in need. If you are seeking outstanding legal representation, please call Attorney Deborah Collins and the Sullivan Law Group. Mrs. Collins will not only meet your needs, she will SUPERSEDE all of your expectations. Having Mrs. Collins represent me was the best decision I have ever made and it was a pleasure working with Attorney Collins and the Sullivan Law Group."– R.R.