Ms. Picco handles a broad range of civil litigation matters in federal and state courts, with a focus on employment matters, representing employers and employees across the full spectrum of labor and personnel issues. Her practice also includes construction law, contract disputes and insurance defense.
Ms. Picco has a well-developed expertise in the analysis and drafting of Non-Competes and Non-Solicitation Agreements.
- Civil litigation practice involves all aspects of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration and mediation.
- Represents employers and employees with Fair Labor Standards Act grievances, EEOC discrimination and sexual harassment claims arising from the workplace
- Provides day-to-day counseling and advice to clients about the various laws affecting the employment relationship, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), the Fair Labor Standards Act, and other state and federal statutes.
- Assists governmental and private employers in managing and limiting risks through the use of employment policies and procedures and drafts Employee Handbooks for employers, both private and governmental localities.
- Routinely counsels employers regarding workplace issues including with respect to employee complaints and disciplinary actions to ensure compliance with policies and procedures, as well as state and federal law.
- Drafts and negotiates employment, non-competition and severance agreements.
- Represents litigants in construction and contract disputes ranging from mechanics’ liens to installation and design defects to payment and performance bond claims.
- Robertson v. City of Suffolk, Case No. 2:11cv370 (March 12, 2012) (E.D. Va)
- Co-Presenter, “Design Practice in a Competitive and Litigious World (Understanding of the Legal Issues and Liabilities Related to the Professional Practice of Architecture and Engineering)”, April 23, 2003
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Selected to Virginia’s Super Lawyers “Rising Stars“, 2007
- Winner (Best Brief Competition) in the John W. Davis Moot Court Competition
- Semi-Finalist (Oral Advocacy Competition) in the John W. Davis Moot Court Competition
- Member of the National Moot Court Team, Washington and Lee University School of Law
- Virginia State Bar
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District
- Virginia Bar Association
What Clients Say About Melissa
Our company hired The Sullivan Law Group based on outstanding recommendations from other businesses. These recommendations were exactly on point.With two separate employment matters, our company hired The Sullivan Law Group based on outstanding recommendations from other businesses. These recommendations were exactly on point. We worked closely with Melissa Picco and found her to be comprehensive, strategic, highly professional and responsive. Any question that we had any time, she answered quickly and thoroughly. As we continued through our cases, she thought of every possible scenario and questions that we had not even considered. What we received from Melissa were impeccably detailed defenses to frivolous cases, resulting in outstanding outcomes. We could not be more pleased with the results, and would not hesitate to recommend Melissa to any other company in the same situation.M.P.