Ms. Sullivan is married to a former prosecutor and defense attorney, and she has two daughters and a son—in—law. She enjoys being a Master Gardener, with a focus on community gardening, her affiliation with Rotary, The Muse Writing Center, and her extended family.
Her prior civic commitments include teaching English as a Second Language, chairing the Board of Trustees of the Norfolk Public Library, and the Norfolk Law Library, serving as president of the Norfolk Sunrise Rotary Club, co—chairing Paint Your Heart Out, chairing the Virginia Bar Association Civil Litigation section, and Lawyers Helping Lawyers. She considers herself a life time learner.
- Served as a member of the City of Norfolk’s Grievance Board
- Serves as an Administrative Hearing Officer for the Supreme Court of Virginia
- Serves as a Special Education Hearing Officer for the Virginia Department of Education
- Participates in numerous dispute arbitrations and has served as an arbitrator and mediator
- Frequent speaker on employment issues before local and regional audiences
- Adjunct Faculty University of Virginia, Continuing Education Programs
- Serves on Civil Service Commission for Norfolk
- Serves as Board Member for the Muse Writers Center
- Serves as Board Member for Fest Events
- “Severing the Employment Relationship,” 16th Annual Employment Law Update, sponsored by Virginia CLE
- “Conducting Depositions” for Virginia CLE; panel member for the 12th Annual Employment Law Update, sponsored by Virginia CLE
- “Drafting Employment Contracts,” for the 13th Annual Employment Law Update, sponsored by Virginia CLE
- “Chronicles of the Workplace: The Outburst, The Firing, and The Litigation,” sponsored by Virginia CLE
HONORS AND AWARDS
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® in Employment Law – Individuals, Employment Law and Management and Labor Law – Management, 2008-2020
- Named one of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” (Employment Law) by Virginia Business Magazine, 2017—2020
- Recognized as a “Super Lawyer,” 2006—2021
- Selected as one of the “Top 50 Women Virginia Super Lawyers” for 2012
- Sullivan Law Group named by U.S. News as one of America’s “Best Law Firms,” 2017—2020
- Designated as a “Go-To Employment Lawyer” by Virginia Lawyers Weekly—2021
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District court, Northern District of Texas
- 16th Judicial District Court, Denton County, Texas
- Boyle Circuit Court, State of Kentucky
- Fayette Circuit Court, State of Kentucky
- Virginia Bar Association (Civil Litigation Section, Former Chair, Labor & Employment Section Executive Council Member, Judicial Selection Committee)
- Virginia State Bar (Judicial Selection Committee, Judicial Nominations Committee)
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Maritime Law Association of the U.S. (Proctor)
What Clients Say About Ann
I had contacted Ann and she did not disappoint! If it wasn't for her, there is no way possible I would have gotten anything.I can't begin to express enough what a wonderful and rewarding experience I've had with Ann Sullivan's law firm. I had been to three different lawyers for my case and all of them were scared to take it because the company we went up against was very powerful. Ann was the only one not scared, and instead of turning me away she gave me great advice which in turn not only got me a settlement but gave me closure. Just when I had given up all hope, I had contacted Ann and she did not disappoint! If it wasn't for her, there is no way possible I would have gotten anything. She is hands down the reason my case was handled the way it should have been, even when I wanted to lose hope she let me know she would fight until I got justice and she stuck to her word. You'd be CRAZY to use a different law firm. Trust me, no seeking needed!! I'm letting you know right now she gets you what you deserve and she cares!B.M.
Ann, Sybil and Shannon were very insightful, organized and patient through my process.Ann, Sybil and Shannon were very insightful, organized and patient through my process. I'm thankful for finding them and highly recommend.J.N.
Ann Sullivan is one of the best attorneys in Norfolk.Ann Sullivan is one of the best attorneys in Norfolk.G.R.
[Ann] was highly professional, very organized, and very thorough. They understood the tight timeline available for an appeal, and threw themselves into the case.My son was facing the most important test of his career. Although he had been granted accommodations for reading and ADHD disabilities by prior testing authorities, the agency administering this important test denied any accommodation. I have practiced law for over thirty years, and I knew I needed a legal expert in disability law. Checking with other lawyers, I was referred to Ann Sullivan— Ann and her fellow attorney, Deborah Collins, were fantastic! They were highly professional, very organized, and very thorough. They understood the tight timeline available for an appeal, and threw themselves into the case. They researched the applicable law and helped my son put together a compelling well-written appeal with an extensive exhibit package. This week my son learned that the testing authority has agreed to provide the appropriate accommodations – I am convinced it was due to the professional work of Ann Sullivan, Deborah Collins and their team at Sullivan Law Group, P.L.C.Dr. J.W.
We would recommend [Ann] in the highest possible terms for any company needing her services for an employment law case.Our company retained the services of The Sullivan Law Group on a very serious and complicated employment defense case. We were immediately surprised and pleased by the close attention and responsiveness that we received from Ann Sullivan, a Senior Partner with the firm. It had always been our experience that someone of her stature would be more aloof and difficult to reach, however, that could not have been further from the truth. She quickly developed a comprehensive strategy for our case and insisted on getting us the best possible result. My confidence in our choice was sealed when I attended a deposition with Ann and was taken aback by a level of preparedness that I had never seen before in any other attorney. Every question, every topic raised, Ann had prepared for and by the end of the deposition, the Plaintiff agreed with us that he did not have a case. Not only did Ann provide us with the best possible result for our case, but we consider her not just our attorney, but our friend. We would recommend her in the highest possible terms for any company needing her services for an employment law case.M.P.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED the Sullivan Law Group.
"Mrs. Sullivan and her team did a thorough review of my case before determining that they would represent me.After their initial consultation, they brought me in for a detailed discussion about our options. Ann and her team gave me the feeling that my case was the most important to them, and every aspect was handled with the highest regard for detail. I was updated by Ann personally throughout, and my case was brought to a speedy and successful resolution. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED the Sullivan Law group."– Former Client