She served as an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney for the City of Norfolk for three years, where she tried hundreds of cases ranging from acts of violence, to property crimes, to complicated embezzlements.
Deb is a native of Virginia Beach, where she lives with her husband and two children. She is a Board Member for the YWCA and the Ascension Episcopal Day School. When she is not caring for her two under three, she enjoys cooking, singing, and relaxing on the beach.
- Civil litigation practice involves all aspects of dispute resolution, including litigation, arbitration and mediation.
- Represents employers and employees with Fair Labor Standards Act grievances, EEOC discrimination and sexual harassment claims arising from the workplace
- Provides day-to-day counseling and advice to clients about the various laws affecting the employment relationship, including Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA), the Fair Labor Standards Act, and other state and federal statutes.
- Assists governmental and private employers in managing and limiting risks through the use of employment policies and procedures and drafts Employee Handbooks for employers, both private and governmental localities.
- Routinely counsels employers regarding workplace issues including with respect to employee complaints and disciplinary actions to ensure compliance with policies and procedures, as well as state and federal law.
- Drafts and negotiates employment and severance agreements.
- “Sexual Harassment in the #metoo Era” for the Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association Continuing Legal Education, October 4, 2018
- “Conducting an Effective Internal Investigation” for the National Business Institute’s “Advanced Employment Law” Seminar, October 2, 2017
- “Hiring and Recruiting” for the National Business Institute’s “Human Resource Law: What You Need to Know Now” Seminar, June 7, 2017
- “Court Procedure Training” for the Norfolk Police Department Academy, February 25, 2014
- “Evidence Based Prosecution” for the Office of the Attorney General, March 15, 2013
HONORS AND AWARDS
- “Listed in Virginia Lawyers Weekly’s “Up & Coming Lawyers”, 2019
- Member of the William and Mary Law Review, Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Competitions Coordinator, Alternative Dispute Resolution Team, Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Vice President, Asian Law Student Association, Marshall-Wythe School of Law
- Winner of the Wall Street Journal Award, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Student of the Year in the Department of Management, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Vice President, Society of Human Resource Management, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Virginia State Bar
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia
- I’Anson-Hoffman American Inn of Court
- Virginia Bar Association
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association – (CLE Committee)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of Virginia
- Federal Bar Association, Hampton Roads Chapter
- YWCA, Board of Directors
- Ascension Episcopal Day School, Board of Directors
What Clients Say About Deb
Ms. Deborah Collins and Melissa Picco and their team were engaged, very supportive, respectful and informative throughout this difficult time for me.My experience with Sullivan Collins Law Group has been stellar! Ms. Deborah Collins and Melissa Picco and their team were engaged, very supportive, respectful and informative throughout this difficult time for me. They consistently went above and beyond my expectations and I could not have done this without them! They genuinely cared about me, my financial situation, and my difficult work situation. They allowed me to partner with them and be part of the process and solutions which has greatly contributed to my healing and recovery. Their challenging work is clearly about the meaning it brings to them personally and professionally and their mission. I give them my highest recommendation without reservations and would trust them with my friends and family. They are a pleasure with which to work, they care and they are very competent!S.N.
Mrs.Collins is honestly amazing at what she does. She really helped me on a case I had, and I am so beyond thankful for her.Mrs.Collins is honestly amazing at what she does. She really helped me on a case I had, and I am so beyond thankful for her. She went out of her way to really help me, guided me on advice of a situation I had, and helped me in multiple ways i.e.made huge 50+ page pdf files. Something that really sets her apart from other law groups, is that she will be the one who will be in constant contact with you. I always found her e-mailing me, and asking me if I needed any additional information. She was so fast in response as well. If you need somebody that is going to be there for you, I would definitely recommend her. Honestly, if I didn't have her as my attorney, the outcome would have not been in my favor (without going into too much detail on a google review). If you're looking for somebody to fight for you, you found her. Highly recommend!J.R.
Ms. Collins’ professional approach and genuine concern for me in this case, has reduced a lot of stress in my life.Ms. Collins’ professional approach and genuine concern for me in this case, has reduced a lot of stress in my life. … Persistence is what it took and a great outcome is what I got in the end.M.W.
They [Ann and Deborah] were highly professional, very organized, and very thorough. They understood the tight timeline available for an appeal, and threw themselves into the case.My son was facing the most important test of his career. Although he had been granted accommodations for reading and ADHD disabilities by prior testing authorities, the agency administering this important test denied any accommodation. I have practiced law for over thirty years, and I knew I needed a legal expert in disability law. Checking with other lawyers, I was referred to Ann Sullivan— Ann and her fellow attorney, Deborah Collins, were fantastic! They were highly professional, very organized, and very thorough. They understood the tight timeline available for an appeal, and threw themselves into the case. They researched the applicable law and helped my son put together a compelling well-written appeal with an extensive exhibit package. This week my son learned that the testing authority has agreed to provide the appropriate accommodations – I am convinced it was due to the professional work of Ann Sullivan, Deborah Collins and their team at Sullivan Law Group, P.L.C.Dr. J.W.
From the smallest matter to complex agreements I and my whole firm couldn’t be more pleased.Deb Collins and the whole team at Sullivan Law Group are fantastic to work with!! It is not often you can find a professional that is smart, committed, responsive and a pleasure to deal with. From the smallest matter to complex agreements I and my whole firm couldn’t be more pleased and enthusiastic about working with Deb Collins and Sullivan Law Group.J.S.
With compassion and professionalism, her main intention is helping those in need.
"My experience with the Sullivan Law Group was positive from the initial consultation with Attorney Deborah Collins. Mrs. Collins is a wonderful person, and an extremely knowledgeable attorney. She was thorough, attentive, honest, and beyond helpful during a very difficult time. She is a one in a million attorney who genuinely cares about her client's situations. She was with me every step of the way with compassion and insight. Unlike most attorneys, she is not money oriented, and in fact really tries to work with the client as much as possible. With compassion and professionalism, her main intention is helping those in need. If you are seeking outstanding legal representation, please call Attorney Deborah Collins and the Sullivan Law Group. Mrs. Collins will not only meet your needs, she will SUPERSEDE all of your expectations. Having Mrs. Collins represent me was the best decision I have ever made and it was a pleasure working with Attorney Collins and the Sullivan Law Group."– R.R.